Skip to main content

Unlimited Data Can Be Confusing (Posted January 2, 2017)

If I were to walk up to you and ask you to explain your cell phone plan to me, that would be relatively easy, right?  You have three phones, two of which are smart phones so you pay an upcharge of $XX, and you get 4GB of data each month (you usually use just over 2 GB except for those months when you have to take your car into the shop, and they don’t have free WiFi so you end up using a boatload of data playing Candy Crush and watching videos on YouTube): all of this costs you $XXX/month.  Easy enough. 

However, if I asked you to explain how you arrived at that particular plan, there’s a 95% chance you’ll just shrug your shoulders and say, “I honestly can’t remember.  It’s all a blur now.”  Why is that?  There are two parts to that answer.

The first part is relatively simple to explain: it’s something you see every month and doesn’t change – you’ve become used to seeing it arrive in your mailbox or inbox, and unless there’s a drastic change in the monthly price you’re accustomed to paying, you don’t give it another look.  Am I right?  Now for the second part of the reason.

When you originally walked into the store (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.) to get your phones and their accompanying plan, you’re immediately “greeted” by a plethora of shiny gadgets (phones that can slice, dice, julienne, AND solve quadratic equations) and a man or woman wearing an ill-fitting polo shirt who stares directly into your eyes so intently you’d swear they can see your soul, and they won’t look away.  You’re on sensory overload, and you’re not sure where to look: all this beautiful technology all around you but this sales person with the tractor-beam eyes.  Help!  While you start salivating over a particular phone (which Mr./Ms. Bad Polo IMMEDIATELY picks up on like a shark sensing blood in the water), the sales person is showing you algorithms and flow charts that only rocket scientists at JPL could have produced to demonstrate each monthly phone plan.  Before your head explodes, you ask, “Just tell me: how much?”, and Polo has you!  Like a WWII fighter pilot who paints a small version of the enemy’s flag on the fuselage of his plane for each “kill”, these sales people, while they’re retrieving your phones from the back, lift up their shirts and tattoo another stick figure on their backs to represent another “sucker sold”.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they used their own blood as the ink for the tattoo – these folks are ruthless!

With that said, though, if you’ve ever had a real estate/mortgage experience similar to the cell phone plan experience, I apologize on behalf of all the good people in the industry.  Yes, we’re in this to make money and feed our families, without a doubt.  However, our job, first and foremost, is to educate and explain (without using complicated algorithms and flow charts) so the client can make an informed decision – the client should never feel pressured into a transaction, no matter how much they want that shiny house.  If we’ve done our job correctly, the client can easily explain the reason they chose our plan over someone else’s – and it’s an added bonus if they can remember whether the shirt we were wearing fit properly. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...