Skip to main content

A Case for FHA, Seriously (Posted October 19, 2015)

Before we get into the meat of the subject, let’s review some numbers.  In the Arizona market, here’s how your potential buyers break down by loan type:

•  28% qualify for Conventional loans
•  18% qualify for VA loans

Doing some simple math, that means that your pool of potential homebuyers who qualify for Conventional and VA loans is 46% of the population.  That’s not necessarily a bad number – there’s an argument to be made for being selective – but if you add FHA buyers to the mix, that’s another 44% of the population.  You’ve practically doubled your pool and can draw from 90% of the population here in Arizona. 

Let’s look at an example of a $271,050 30-year fixed loan with a 680 credit score (average credit score in Arizona is 676):

Conventional (4.5% rate w/1.48% MI):                
Monthly payment is $1,731.70

FHA (3.75% rate w/.85% MI): 
Monthly payment is $1,469.24               

That’s a difference of $262.46/month!

Why the difference in the rate?  On Conventional loans, when the credit score drops below 700, pricing hits occur.  Remember, the average credit score in Arizona is 676.  Now for the arguments against FHA:

With a Conventional loan, MI eventually falls off; on FHA it doesn’t. 
All true, but home buyers stay in one home for an average of just over six years – the MI won’t fall off in six years on a Conventional loan either.  In those six years, with a savings of $262.46/month with the FHA option, that’s $18,897.12 in overall savings.  That’s some major college fund money!

The loan limit on FHA is $271,050 – I sell houses that are much more expensive. 
No argument here.  That’s where being selective comes into play, of course.  Food for thought, though: the average house price right now in Maricopa and Pima Counties is below that threshold.  Those homes that are selling as fast as you can list them are below that threshold.  You can sell four $250,000 houses in six months or you can try and sell a $1 million house in 12-18 months. 


When your next client comes to you to buy a house, be the expert!  Or just call us – we’ll make you look REALLY good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...