Skip to main content

Improving Your Options (Posted December 28, 2015)

Just before the Christmas holiday – in fact, exactly a week before, on December 18, 2015 – the President signed legislation that renews the tax deductibility of mortgage insurance (MI) premiums for qualified borrowers through 2016. 

This new legislation is effective for purchase and refinance transactions closed after December 31, 2014. Mortgage Insurance premiums paid or accrued after December 31, 2014, and through December 31, 2016, may qualify for tax deductibility on borrowers' subsequent federal tax returns as follows:

•  Borrowers with adjusted gross incomes below $100,000 may deduct 100% of their MI premiums
•  For borrowers with adjusted gross incomes from $100,000.01 to $110,000, deductions are phased out at 10% increments for each additional $1,000 of adjusted gross household income

Quite often, of course, many buyers immediately stop listening when they hear the term “mortgage insurance” and start thinking about other things like needing to schedule an appointment with the vet to get their cat dewormed or why bread always lands butter side down when dropped.  They lose their focus, and that could lose the sale.  Get them to focus and remind them that those loan options that have mortgage insurance usually have lower monthly payments, much lower down payment requirements (3%), and cancellable premiums.  As it dawns on them that you’re more than a real estate agent – you’re an expert – deliver this coup de grâce (I believe that’s French for “do you want fries with that”) about the tax deductibility, and they just might name their first child after you (or, at least, their next cat – whom I hope has been dewormed). 

Just a couple of reminders to keep in your back pocket:

•  Under the Homeowners Protection Act of 1998, lenders must terminate MI once the loan is scheduled to reach 78% of the original home value – the insurance policy should be automatically cancelled at that time
•  The CFPB, this month, issued a compliance bulletin reminding lenders of this automatic cancellation requirement – even if the home’s value has dipped below the sales price

•  The cancellation rules DO NOT apply to the low-down-payment FHA loans – borrowers are required to pay insurance as long as they have an FHA loan (if the loan was acquired after June, 2013)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...