Skip to main content

Lifelong Learning (Posted February 15, 2016)

Recently, a lot of very burly men gathered in Northern California to put on tights and very expensive shoes so they could prance, frolic, cavort, and make merry with one another in an open field – and we called it Super Bowl 50.  Unless you’ve been living on another planet (or Bakersfield without cable), you’ve at least heard that Cam Newton didn’t take the loss all that well and his post-game interview was less than . . . gracious.  His behavior in that interview really got tongues wagging, and a lot of criticism was heaped on Mr. Newton.  He later released a statement as a response to this criticism: “Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser. . . . If I offended anyone, that’s cool.” 

From everything I read, there wasn’t a single significant criticism about his failure to apologize for the loss.  No one was expecting him to start writing checks to the fans to make up for the fact the Panthers lost the game.  The criticism can be summed up in the short statement given by Newton’s head coach, Ron Rivera, in which he said he wished the quarterback had “handled it differently.”  That’s all – and that’s the lesson for all of us.
 
No one LIKES to lose (unless you’re a member of Weight Watchers).  We don’t wake up in the morning, look ourselves in the mirror and say, “I can’t wait to have someone beat me at my own game!”  When we do lose, though – and the fact of the matter is it’s going to happen every now and then – how we act either inspires those around us (and even inspires ourselves) or causes people to step away from us and choose another partner. 

Have you closed EVERY deal in which you’ve been involved?  Has EVERY deal gone exactly the way you anticipated with respect to your client’s wishes and the commissions involved?  I’m going to take a WILD guess and say, probably not – there have been, maybe, two or three times when the deal didn’t follow your plan to the letter.  When things have gone sideways on a transaction, did you go to your client and say, “They beat us!  I hate losing!  If I offended you, that’s cool” – and then you just walked away?  Of course not!

I’m going to go out on one more limb here and say that the likelihood of your getting a referral from a past client is MUCH higher if the transaction you completed involved problems – problems that you overcame – than if the transaction went off without a hitch – one in which you “won”. 


Cam’s still young – he’s still a “beginner” in the NFL – so we’ll cut him some slack.  That reminds me of something I read recently on the Internet (so it must be true): “Do you want to know the difference between a master and a beginner?  The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”  Be the master your clients deserve – don’t just talk about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...