Skip to main content

A Lesson in Royalty (Posted April 25, 2016)

Yes, this week’s edition has something to do with Prince – I won’t lie – but let me assure you it’s not a schmaltzy tribute to him or a recollection of something that happened to me in my childhood that is forever memorialized by a particular Prince song.  Actually, this week’s edition is about a Prince and a King – and by King, yes, I’m talking about Elvis Presley.  Go with me on this.  We’ll start with Elvis.

With a golden voice, Elvis Aron Presley sort of hit the genetic lottery: at the height of his success, he topped out at 6’0”, weighed a moderate 170 lbs., and had piercing blue eyes.  He came onto the music scene when television was starting out, and the movie industry was really hitting its stride – something he and his manager, “Colonel” Tom Parker, were very wise to exploit.  Selling the Elvis brand – not taking anything away from his talent or his manager’s finesse – wasn’t exactly rocket science.  It was sort of like selling ice water to someone who just crossed the Sahara desert.  Elvis released around 600 singles, had a boatload of #1 singles and albums, and snagged three Grammy awards – but he didn’t write a single one of his songs.  No, not a one. 

Born Prince Rogers Nelson, the artist commonly known as Prince, topped out at 5’2” and probably weighed 120 lbs. soaking wet – if you’ve seen some of his videos, you’ll know what I mean.  Coming on the scene when image was already a HUGE part of selling your personal brand, Prince’s personal packaging left a bit to be desired, but that didn’t stop him.  He garnered seven Grammy awards in his lifetime, an Academy Award, and had a very respectable number of #1 singles and albums to his name – and he wrote all of his own stuff.  In fact, he wrote and collaborated on a number of famous songs many people don’t associate with Prince: “Stand Back” by Stevie Nicks, “Manic Monday” by The Bangles, and “Nothing Compares 2 U” by Sinead O’Connor, just to name a few. 

While the success of these two men cannot be denied, their paths to these heights so few reach diverge quite significantly.  Elvis (and The Colonel) chose to find other people to give him almost finished products to which he would attach his voice and personality – and that was a formula that had great results.  There had to be many moments of stress and uncertainty, though, that Elvis experienced because he didn’t possess the ability to create his own music. 

Conversely, not relying on anyone else, Prince not only controlled his own fate by writing his own songs, he lent his talent and creative energy to other artists – he reaped rewards from both his own music and the music of others because of that.  I would imagine he experienced his moments of writer’s block, sure, but at the end of it all, he knew he had it in him to create something from nothing. 


What type of agent are you?  Are you a King or a Prince?  Are you relying on your good looks and golden voice, or are you creating opportunities for yourself, regardless of how you look doing it?  On a chessboard, perhaps there’s a reason the King can only move one space at a time while waiting for others to make their moves, and there’s no piece for the Prince – he’s off making a successful life for himself on his own terms rather than playing a game.  That sounds like the right way to do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Naked Truth About Home Buying

It’s highly likely I’ve already written about this, but I’ll try to make it entertaining at least.   There’s a guy who works in ou r office who suffers from kidney stones – and from what he’s described, “suffers” might even be a little too tame a word for it.   As an aside, though, when you ask him how painful the experience is, he gets an odd smile and says, “It’s the most intense pain I’ve ever experienced, but it’s hard to describe.   I’ve heard a lot of people compare it to the pain a woman experiences while giving birth.   To that, I must say, those people are big, fat liars!   I’ve been in the presence of a woman giving birth, twice, and her pain has to be 100 times worse.   They’re passing the equivalent of a Buick.   I’m passing a pumpkin seed.”   He’s always been a colorful fellow. He’s had this wonderful condition for over a decade now, and the stones make their appearance about every 18 months or so.   Up until recently, ...

Saving Money is Music to Your Ears (Posted January 9, 2017)

For all the “old” people out there, you’ll instantly know the name Daryl Hall.   For those of you who are still on your original set of adult teeth (perhaps because you got your braces off fairly recently), Daryl Hall is a musician (the blonde half of the duo Hall & Oates – the one who DIDN’T have a mustache that looked like it was straight out of an ’ 80s adult film) with a number of albums (albums a re these big, black 12-inch vinyl “platters” that look like a pregnant CD) that have been certified as gold/platinum and hit songs to his credit, some of which he recorded himself and some he wrote for others.   Going back to 2007, he started a show on the internet called Live from Daryl’s House ; in 2011, he took it to cable where it currently airs.   The concept is relatively simple: he has musicians from all genres and eras come to his house to jam with him and his band.   In between songs, they talk about music and memories, and they usually end up eatin...

The Waiting (is the Hardest Part)

Full disclosure: this week’s missive is more for the consumer than for the realtor.   I can promise, though, that for all the realtors who read this, you’ll most likely find yourself saying or thinking something along the lines of “preach on, brother”, “testify”, “amen”, or “you got that right”.   W ith that in mind, I implore you ALL to read on.   Recently, I received my monthly wireless phone bill, and it was $20 higher than it should have been.   I had made some changes on my plan a little before that, but my monthly bill’s amount was supposed to stay virtually the same – in fact, my first bill after the changes was a little bit less than my usual amount.   Bonus!   Befuddled, I called the company and asked the operator to help me understand why my bill was $20 higher and then find a way to get it back down to the price I had been promised when I had made the changes to my plan.   Long story short: the operator with whom I had originally m...