Skip to main content

Paperless, Not Brainless (Posted December 19, 2016)

Full disclosure: what you’re about to read is a full-blown commercial – no lie.  While I’m fairly confident it will be better than 95% of the commercials you’re forced to watch between episodes of your favorite reality show (which is a sort of commercial in and of itself, really), I won’t go so far as to say it’ll be better than some of those you see with Tina Fey or Peyton Manning. 

Coming very soon, we will be offering an option that will provide greater speed, simplicity, and certainty for everyone – the real estate agents on both sides of the transaction, the buyer, the seller, the lender, and even the title folks – in the buying/selling process.  Here are some key features to whet your appetite:

•  Validation of income, assets, and employment will be done electronically. 
o  Borrowers will be able to save time by using electronic data versus collecting documents such as paystubs, bank statements, and investment account statements.  We’re going to call that the “where did I put that?” feature.
•  Loan application data will be validated up front making the verification of key loan data points easier and faster.
o  This means the originators will have greater confidence at the beginning of the process so they can get it to underwriting more quickly.  We’re going to call that the “let’s kick this up to light speed” feature.

•  It’s estimated that this will eliminate appraisal conditions on 60% of all purchase transactions – we’re going to call that the “it’s about time” feature.

I hesitate to call this a “no doc” loan for a number of reasons, chief of which being the torrents of cold sweat that term induces for anyone who was in this business back in 2005-06 and stayed around to see their crippling effects on so many.  With that said, though, there is a certain beautiful simplicity about the “no doc” aspect of this process: we all get the convenience of not having to hunt high and low for a single piece of paper that can make or break the purchase of a $500,000 home, but we have the security of there being someone in the transaction who is going to verify everything electronically on behalf of all parties. 

With that said, I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming of watching whether she says yes to the dress or he’s going to accept help out of his 600-lb life – and you know I’m not talking about Tina Fey or Peyton Manning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...

Dethroning the King (Posted September 19, 2016)

There’s an old saying that you hear bandied about a great deal in the real estate/mortgage world, and it’s “Always wear clean underwear.”   Wait, that’s not it (but I wouldn’t pass up on heeding that advice either)!   The saying is “Cash is king.”   Sure, there’s something much sexier about having an aluminum attaché case with $100 bills banded and stacked all nice and neat than a piece of paper “saying” you have the money – there’s an emotional pull that you can work to your advantage when you’re sitting across from a seller, and you can hand her cash at that very moment and complete the transaction.   In other words, your powers of negotiation are significantly enhanced.   But when you take the emotion out of it, cash shouldn’t be king – it should be YOUR slave.   Let me explain.   Let’s say you have the cash to purchase a $200,000 home outright (I’ll pause here for all you fans of the movie “Airplane” to join me and say, “You have the cash to...