Skip to main content

Go, Team (Posted March 7, 2016)

Recently, I had the chance to meet two different real estate agents who have different approaches to their business.  Both of them are very successful, so their approaches to their business obviously work very well for them, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, I believe, the biggest reason they’re as successful as they are is due to what they have in common.  Let me explain.

Agent A works independently.  She doesn’t have assistants, associate agents, or other people who report directly to her, and she gets a lot more done in a single day than many lesser agents accomplish in a week.  Agent B has amassed a large team with ranks of assistants, agents, and other support staff to keep this machine she has built running at optimal speed and efficiency.  Agent A has gone head to head with big-team agents in competing for big-ticket listings, and she’s come out on top.   Agent B, along with her team, has created a referral-generating system that is a sight to behold – and their hit rate with those referrals is incredibly high.  At the end of the year, it’s very likely that their individual paychecks are quite similar in size. 

So, what’s this . . . thing that they share that makes them successful?  The answer may be so obvious you just might throw something at your computer screen or reflexively kick a small dog.  For the safety of your technology and all living creatures around you, I’ll wait until you put down anything you might be holding in your hand and clear the room of all pets.  Are we good? 

They give PERSONAL attention to each and every client.  In the case of Agent A, that is one of the biggest reasons she’s been able to go head to head with big-team agents and win the prestigious listings: she makes it very clear to the client that SHE’S IT – they won’t be speaking with an assistant or a flunky who will have to take a message and get back to them once they’ve been able to get in touch with her.  In the case of Agent B, while she has an army of people generating a lot of business and working on details in the background, she’s the person with whom the client ALWAYS has contact.  Because of that, a big part of her referral-generating system comes from her VERY SATISFIED past clients – the same can be said for Agent A. 


Another agent I know – we’ll call her “C” – has told me numerous times that real estate is a numbers game.  She’s gone so far as to tell me that she’s figured out almost the exact number of times she needs to hear “no” before she gets to a “yes” – and she looks forward to each “no” as it tells her how much closer she is to a “yes”.  Many – perhaps too many – real estate agents view their business as ONLY a numbers game, so they build teams and processes to push as many people through as possible.  When deals don’t work out, it’s okay for them because they just keep filling the pipeline with more people and more deals.  My friend “C”, while she plays the numbers game, is very much like Agents A & B.  She gives personal attention to assure the deal goes through as seamlessly as possible and her clients are happy at the end of it all – and because they’re happy, they LOVE referring their friends.  After all’s said and done, working with referrals is a lot easier than having to find new customers constantly to fill an inefficient pipeline.  You might say it’s as easy as A, B, C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...