Skip to main content

Set the Bar Even Higher (Posted August 22, 2016)

Human history is full of examples of people doing something a certain way for hundreds of years, and someone comes along and basically says, “That doesn’t make any sense,” and then showing the world how it really should be done.   With the Olympics on everyone’s mind right now, one especially poignant example is the high jump.  Before 1965, athletes would get a running start and basically “dive”, “roll”, or “hurdle” over the height marker and try to keep from knocking it off.  Then, an American by the name of Dick Fosbury came along with “the move” we see today: run, pivot, and go over the marker with your backside first.  It’s called the Fosbury Flop, and it helped him win a gold medal in the 1968 Olympics. 

In the real estate world, it’s time to introduce another Flop, if you will (that’s sort of an unfortunate way to characterize it given the fact we’re talking about a POSITIVE change, but I can’t go back in time and ask Old Dickey to give his move a different name – sorry).  It’s beaten into every new real estate agent’s head that when they first meet a new client, they are to insist that the client get prequalified for a loan BEFORE the agent takes them out to look at properties.  It’s a piece of advice that enables agents to work with serious buyers and buyers to know that the agent is taking them seriously.  That’s smart, and you’ll get no argument here on the merits of that advice.  However, it’s old advice that needs to be changed. 

What if I told you this new advice would:

•  Produce stronger buyers (increased negotiation power)
•  Provide a cleaner and faster transaction (yes, ESPECIALLY after TRID)
•  Enable agents to work with more clients WITHOUT sacrificing the quality of their interaction WITH EACH AND EVERY client

Do I need to go on?  If this new advice would do ALL OF THOSE THINGS, would you be willing to give it a listen?  I’m absolutely certain that more than the majority of Dick Fosbury’s fellow competitors who were at that now-legendary track meet in 1965 when he introduced the Flop sat there and said, “That’s insane” or “He got lucky”.  Let that sink in for a moment, and let me add two questions: (1) How many high jumpers from that 1965 track meet can you name besides Dick Fosbury?  (2) How many gold-medal high jumpers today DON’T use the Fosbury Flop?

We work with a number of “insane” and “lucky” real estate agents who have vastly increased their production with this advice.  Additionally, we have a long list of clients who looked convention in the face . . . and laughed all the way into their new homes with less stress and the satisfaction that they got the best possible deal on their purchase. 


Are you ready to test your sanity and your luck?  This entire article may have seemed like a big tease, but I’m confident that when you call me and I explain it to you, you’ll understand how truly serious I am about this.  When you implement this advice, and someone says, “That’s not the way you’re supposed to do it,” just smile and say, “Everybody laughed at Dick, too.”  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...