Skip to main content

Here Comes the Sun (Posted December 5, 2016)

In a podcast recently, the guest asked the host an interesting question that went something like this: “If you walked into a local coffee shop and you saw a 50-year-old woman with thick-framed glasses and greying hair pulled back into a bun, would you think she’s a librarian or a sales person?”  The host, while he knew he was being set up for something, said, “Naturally, my mind would immediately go to librarian.”  The guest went on to explain that this is the natural presumption based on appearances and our predisposition toward certain images we as a society have of particular occupations.  Then he added, “There are over 300,000 sales people here in the United States, while there are probably around 30,000 librarians.  Statistically, the likelihood that the woman you see in the coffee shop is a sales person rather than a librarian is ten times greater.” 

Interestingly, the guest used this example not to make a point about how we need to shed our prejudices and join hands to sing along to a Joan Baez record.  He actually used it to set up the following point: while there are times when our presumptions are dead wrong, quite often they’re right on the money because they’re based on a wealth of past experiences.  This caused me to think about something I had read that same day about appraisals. 

It was recently announced that housing giant Freddie Mac plans to dispense with traditional appraisals on some loan applications for home purchases, replacing them with an alternative valuation system that would be free of charge to both lenders and borrowers.  The folks at Freddie Mac confirmed that they could begin the no-appraisal concept as early as next spring. You read that correctly, ladies and gentlemen: NEXT SPRING! 

What does this have to do with the example with which I opened this week’s newsletter?  Instead of using professional appraisers, Freddie plans to tap into what it says is a vast trove of data it has assembled on millions of existing houses nationwide, supplement that with additional information related to valuation, and use the results in its assessments of applications.  In other words, they’re going to use their wealth of past experiences.

For consumers, the company believes, this could not only eliminate appraisal expenses – which typically range from $350 to $600 or more (some areas are seeing these costs bumping up against the $1K mark) – but could cut down on current closing delays that are related to the appraisal process.

The spring is still a number of blizzards and a long thaw off from today, and it remains to be seen how all this will take shape, but it’s a breath of fresh air to see things in this industry evolving with the times – sort of like the card catalog at the library going computerized!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...