Skip to main content

Being There (Posted February 22, 2016)

I’ve just read possibly my 893rd news article about the millennials and how we all need to change the way we market so we can reach them.  Of course, in every single article I read touching on this subject, they never give me a single suggestion on what I should change or do differently to reach this bloc of buyers.  Ugh!!!!!!  I’ll come back to that in just a moment.

Research indicates that millennials have grown up with a strong distrust for big institutions.  That same research tells us that millennials have trust issues – they lived on the sidelines during the subprime meltdown and foreclosure fiasco – and they have a hard time trusting the “older” generation.  The typical real estate agent is 57 years old, and the average age of a loan officer is 54.  The median age of first-time homebuyers is 31.  Here’s the reason these things matter:  Millennials account for 32% of all home sales and 68% of first-time homebuyers – and those numbers will continue to grow.

As I said, the pundits (that’s a fancy word for “experts”) keep telling me I need to change and adapt to reach out to and connect with the millennials, but they never tell me how.  Why?  Because they don’t have the foggiest idea.  Don’t despair, though: I have three pieces of advice that will help you connect with the younger buyers – and these things will help you connect better with ALL of your buyers.  None of these suggestions requires you to create an app for a smartphone or invent a new technology that predicts who is going to enter the market before they even know it themselves:

1.  Be reachable AND responsive by email and text – yes, I said “text”.  If you are immediately responsive (meaning: in an hour or two, not in a day or two), the millennials (and everyone else) will be impressed.  Honestly, that’s as tech savvy as you need to be.
2.  Use plain English.  Gone are the days when people are impressed with our ability to trot out terms like BINSR and amortization. This does not mean I think the millennials aren’t smart enough to handle the home buying process and that it needs to be “dumbed down” – quite the opposite, really: they’re demanding that we know our stuff well enough to translate it into plain English so we’re not trying to hide behind big fancy terms.  The way we assure we’re not doing the job for a lesser agent (read: not as smart) is making the process so easily understood that clients see us as the reason for that clarity – we “outsimple” the competition.  That’s how we gain their trust.
3.  This is where and how you gain their loyalty – yes, their loyalty – in two words: constant contact.  I don’t mean sending them a post card every six months.  You need to call, email, and text them (pick one method at a time) on a fairly regular basis with a recommendation of a landscaping service, a pool cleaner, a good restaurant, a financial planner, etc.  If they see you as a constant source of knowledge (that pays off), they WILL come to you first to buy that next house, that vacation home, and eventually that retirement home.  With the younger generations, gaining and keeping loyalty is like maintaining a healthy lifestyle: no slacking. 


You can Facebook, Tweet, and Instagram all day long – no harm in that – but the way to reach out to and connect with the millennials still revolves around being available and knowledgeable.  You don’t need a pundit to tell you that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...