Skip to main content

Swimming with Confidence (Posted November 16, 2015)

We have this guy in our office who took up swimming a few years back to lose weight, and it worked – he lost thirty pounds (but don’t worry, over time, he was able to get most of them back).  He didn’t want to be deterred in his goal, so he decided to use a “swimmer’s snorkel”.  By doing this, he received quite a few odd looks from his fellow gym members (even when he was wearing it in the pool); he really got the stink eye from those hardcore “aquatic athletes” who seemed to be training to swim the English Channel. 

Odd and shaming looks notwithstanding, our intrepid office mate was not deterred.  His goal was to swim a mile each day until he lost those thirty pounds – quite honestly, he didn’t care how he looked.  His single-minded focus on reaching his goal and not worrying what others thought of his methods mirror how we approach our goal: to find and provide the EXACT RIGHT product and close the loan on time (or earlier) – we do what it takes, no matter what!

For example, when I recently told a real estate agent how we can give new life to old and dead leads, she looked at me like I was nuts – it was probably a similar look our swimming friend got at the gym – and said, “No one does that!”  I smiled and said, “Well, we do.  It’s one of the ways we significantly increase your production without your spending any more money on marketing.”  The odd look quickly turned to a knowing smile!

With TRID now in full effect, we’re still able to close loans in thirty days or less.  How?  We’re not going to give you the “recipe” to our “secret sauce” – we’ll share it with you when you come in to see us (you know you want to) – but we’ll happily share two tips with you – help us help your buyers:

•  Have title confirm fees at the opening of escrow (or even prior)
•  Help ensure borrowers are getting docs back to us on time: Intent to proceed, borrower docs, etc.


How do we breathe new life into a dead lead?  What do we do, in this post-apocalyptic TRID world, to close loans in thirty days or less?  Come on in and sit with us for fifteen minutes – you’ll be beyond impressed.  Maybe we’ll ask our co-worker to show you his swimmer’s snorkel – we promise not to have him in a Speedo when he does. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...