Skip to main content

Numbers Don't Lie, But Wherein Lies the Truth? (Posted November 21, 2016)

Said with enough conviction, you can make almost anything sound true.  Preface the fabrication with “according to a recent bi-partisan government study,” and you’re three quarters of the way to selling the lie to a lot of people.  Seriously, try this.

The next time you’re at a dinner party or having coffee with friends, pepper this little tidbit into the conversation: “I read something really interesting the other day.  According to a recent bi-partisan government study – I think it took them three years to get it all done – middle-aged men who drive either a Toyota Camry or a Honda Odyssey have more testosterone than younger men who drive either a Ford F150 or a Dodge Charger.”  You’ll get some raised eyebrows and looks of mild disbelief, but don’t let that deter you.  Just lift up your hands, palms outward, and say, “I just think it’s interesting, and it makes sense when you think about it” – and then change the subject to something completely unrelated.  Guaranteed, your friends will repeat what you said in another setting no more than two or three days later: at the office, standing in line at the grocery store, overthrowing a Marxist regime in a third-world country, etc.  It’ll take on a life of its own, believe me. 

In the real estate and mortgage world, we’re driven by data – and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  We want to be sure we’re spending our time and resources wisely, so we want to know what’s been proven successful and where the next trend is going to take us.  However, we have to be careful how we receive and interpret that data – it behooves us to do some digging and get to the heart of whatever piece of information is being shared with us.  Here’s an example – and it’s true:

•  A study conducted this summer revealed that an overwhelming majority of a person’s “digital time” is spent on a mobile device (smart phone). 

If you took that at face value – there’s nothing false in what was stated – that might lead you to believe that you should devote all your marketing budget to mobile devices or that you should spend all your time house hunting only on your phone.  Before you do anything hasty, here’s the statistic in its full-blown glory:

•  A study conducted this summer revealed that 57% of a person’s “digital time” is spent on a mobile device with 32% spent on a computer and 11% spent on a tablet.

Nothing in the first statement was false or even misleading.  A “majority” simply means the bigger half – the use of the adjective “overwhelming” is simple poetic license.  However, if you took that statement to mean that you’re wasting your time on anything other than mobile devices, you’re cutting yourself out of exercising 43% of your options.  If I’m an agent, I’d rather have 100 potential clients than just 57.  If I’m looking to buy or sell my home, I’d rather have an agent who reaches 100 people than just 57. 

For example, whether you’re an agent or a client, telling someone that you won’t entertain a VA loan offer because “they’re too complicated” or “they take too long”, you’re cutting out a large number of potential buyers – and you’ve obviously had a bad experience with the wrong lender because neither of those reasons is remotely true.  There’s something to be said for the old saying, “You can’t be everything to everyone.”  However, the more options you make available to yourself, the better off you’ll be.  That’s simple logic – and you don’t need a bi-partisan government study to tell you that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...