Skip to main content

An Intergalactic Lack of Knowledge

This past week, word had reached my ears that the federal money available for homebuyers in a certain grant program would run out by April 1st of this year – despite the date, I’m fairly certain it’s not intended as some cosmic April Fool’s Day joke.  At any rate, a real estate agent that I’ve worked with for many years felt it would be a good idea to make a big deal of this and put together some Facebook and Instagram posts letting potential homebuyers know that time is running out.  No argument here.  Anyone who’s sort of been sitting on the fence about buying a home could use a little nudge, and this might be just what they need. 

After I had created the posts and put them out there, I started to think about what will happen once this federal grant does run out.  What will potential homebuyers do who need help coming up with a down payment?  And you know what the next thing was that popped into my head when I asked myself that question?  A scene from the movie “Men in Black”.  I’m sure you know which scene. 

Agent J (Will Smith), in pursuit of the guy in the Edgar suit (Vincent D’Onofrio), has fired his laser gun in an attempt to stop the guy in the Edgar suit.  Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) quickly pulls J aside and admonishes him: “We do not discharge our weapons in view of the public!”  J, frustrated by being stopped in his pursuit, complains that in times like this, the rules need to be thrown out the window, and K responds with, “There's ALWAYS an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!”

So, I now return to the question: What will homebuyers do when this federal grant program runs out?  And to answer it, I invoke the wisdom of Agent K: There’s ALWAYS a federal grant program or a state-sponsored incentive to help homebuyers – and there always will be in one way, shape, or form.  Of course, rather than keeping the public FROM knowing about them, we need to shout this from the rooftops so we can all get on with our happy lives. 


According to an annual survey conducted by NeighborWorks America, 71% of Americans were unaware/not sure about down-payment-assistance programs.  The same survey revealed that 77% of those with student debt said they had never heard or were unfamiliar with loan counseling programs from nonprofits.  In other words, if all these folks hear about is one federal grant program, and it’s about to run out, it’s likely a high percentage are just going to give up and keep renting.  So, while we keep the Arquillian Battle Cruisers, Corillian Death Rays, and intergalactic plagues in check, let’s help homebuyers know they have options – and always will!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...