Skip to main content

Universal Truths and Asparagus (Posted August 1, 2016)

I am certainly not the smartest person in the room.  On occasion, I am the smart aleck in the room, but that’s a whole other topic.  At any rate, in my time here on this planet I have come to learn a number of things that help me to know that the world is in balance, if only precariously.  These little things are the constants in life that we can count on like gravity keeps us from floating up in the air and water is wet.  Without them, we feel a certain uneasiness.  Let me share them with you:

1.  Asparagus will have a lingering effect, if you know what I mean.  Try as you might to dilute it with large quantities of alcohol or a cherry Slurpee, that little green vegetable’s odiferous power will not be masked. 
2.  If a man has a mustache – with no other facial hair – it’s a 98.72% likelihood that he’s a cop or a firefighter . . . or it’s Tom Selleck reprising his role in Magnum P.I.  Little known fact: Salvador Dalí went to his college career advisor to ask about how he could become a police officer and found that the waiting list was three years long, but there were immediate openings in the “eccentric artist” department. 
3.  When you walk into a men’s public restroom, two out of the three seats in the stalls will be left in the up position – the one that’s not was last used by a man who’s been married for more than five years.
4.  You will never become a millionaire, lose seventy-five pounds, or grow your hair back as a result of something you received through junk mail or a mass email. 
5.  Regardless of your college major and the subsequent career field you pursue, the things you learn in your Political Science 202 class will only come in handy when watching or competing on Jeopardy. 

I defy you to prove these universal constants wrong.  Sure, you’ll come back and say things like, “Hall of Fame pitcher Rollie Fingers had a handlebar mustache, and he was never in law enforcement or public safety.”  Bear in mind, though, that Mr. Fingers and others of his mustachioed ilk comprise the other 1.28% – I have statistics to back me up.  What have you got? 

Just as there are constants in the world that we universally understand and accept, there are also misconceptions that exist and need to be righted immediately.  Of course I’m talking about the real estate/mortgage world – this isn’t a newsletter for chefs who like extreme sports (unless they’re looking to buy or sell a house).  In last week’s newsletter, I touched on a big one: you don’t have to amass a 20% down payment to qualify for a home these days.  I know I made a big deal of that last week, but it bears repeating (and I’m the one writing the newsletter).  Here’s another HUGE misconception: the only way to get into a home with prices on the rise is with the help of a down-payment assistance program.  HUGE misconception!  I am not implying in any way that DPA programs are bad; I’m only saying that the funds available in those programs are limited, and the DPA doesn’t always work out in the end.  There are products out there that are NOT down-payment assistance programs that require NO down payment; there are others that only require a 1% down payment with the lender giving 2% toward the down payment.  Those are constants in our current universe.


In closing, my recommendation is that you take comfort in these simple truths that I have outlined and this new information I’ve shared.  Lay your head on your pillow tonight and dream sweetly of a world that makes sense in its own weird way.  And if in those dreams you suddenly find yourself on Jeopardy competing against Tom Selleck and Salvador Dalí, rest assured they won’t know Plato’s Theory of Forms either. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...