Skip to main content

Today's Home Buyers Are Better Prepared

The good folks at BMO Harris Bank recently commissioned a company called Pollara to conduct a study of projected home-buying habits for potential buyers.  Here are just a few of their findings - interesting stuff!

  • Among likely first-time buyers, 80% plan to get pre-approved before making an offer and 10% are already pre-approved 
  • Approximately four out of five will set a budget BEFORE looking for a home
  • More than a majority (65%) of those looking to buy a new home will consult a real estate agent, while 61% said they will visit online real estate websites and 38% will seek recommendations from friends and family
  • Among those surveyed, they are willing to pay an average of $277,000 for a home
  • Over half (54%) of Americans say they are likely to buy a home in the next five years
If the numbers above reflect ACTUAL behaviors, today's home buyers ARE far better prepared as they'll be getting pre-approved in record numbers and setting a budget BEFORE they even start looking for a home. 

News like that is DEFINITELY worth celebrating.  Just don't get carried away and blow your budget - eyes on the prize!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...