Skip to main content

Indecision's Worst Enemy: Facts

There's an old song by The Clash called "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" that has a very fitting line for so many in the potential homebuyers pool, and it goes like this: "This indecision's bugging me."  I'm not talking about indecision that results when you're faced with having to choose between going to Olive Garden for the endless-salad-and-breadsticks combo or Red Robin for the bottomless basket of French Fries.  Nor am I talking about an indecision that occurs because you're forced to choose between a mid-century modern or a rambling ranch home.  

The indecision that so many potential homebuyers are experiencing is the result of just not knowing the down-and-dirty facts - and while they are hemming and hawing, they continue to rent and home prices continue to increase.  Let me give you an example:

On a house that costs $200,000, do you know the difference between the monthly payment if you put 3% down versus 10% down on a 30-year mortgage?  Before you answer that, though, what's the difference in dollars between 3% of $200,000 and 10% of $200,000?  That's pretty major, right?  A 3% down payment is $6,000, while a 10% down payment is $20,000 - a spread of $14,000!  So with THAT BIG of a difference between the down payment amounts, there should be an equally considerable difference between the monthly payments, right?  The difference is - are you sitting down for this - only $167!  I'm not trying to say that $167 is chump change - it certainly isn't, especially when you're on a budget - but it's probably easier to find a way to come up with that $167 difference each month than it is to come up with $14,000 in one shot.  

The average first-time homebuyer stays in that first home less than seven years.  In that time, the homeowner is not going to see a significant difference in the grand scheme of things between having put down 3% or 10%.  However, during that time, the $14,000 the homeowner DIDN'T have to spend by putting down 3% can be used for a lot of other things - no indecision there, right?

So, if you're in the potential homebuyers pool, take one last lap for old times' sake, climb out, towel off, and come talk to us.  If you're wearing a Speedo (gentlemen), we'll ask that you change clothes, too, before you come visit us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...