Skip to main content

Perception is Reality


Recently, I came across an article about the top grossing movies of all time, and my mind immediately ran to the likes of Titanic and Star Wars.  However, the author of the article factored inflation into the equation to determine which movie truly had the greatest draw with the public – his argument was that a movie coming out today will make far more money with ticket prices being higher than one that came out 50 years ago.  With those adjustments, Gone With the Wind came out on top.  It’s not a bad flick, but I was a little surprised.  However, you can’t argue with the numbers based on popular vote via purchases.

Here’s the odd thing, though: according to the American Film Institute (AFI) – the self-appointed vanguard of all things cinematic – the greatest film of all time is Citizen Kane, a movie about a man who was fueled to succeed at all costs by his resentment for his parents for naming his childhood snow sled “Rosebud” instead of something way cooler like “Widowmaker” or “Death on Rails”.  (I’ll admit, I’ve never seen more than 30 seconds of this movie.)  Ironically, Citizen Kane didn’t even rank in the top 10 highest-grossing films of all time.  How could a movie be so great if it wasn’t that popular?  Hmmm. 

We have a similar problem in the real estate and mortgage world – let me frame it up for you: according to a recent survey by the National Association of Realtors, only 13% of adults 34 years of age and younger realize they can buy a house with a down payment of 5% OR LESS.  In response to this, the findings of a joint research study by Fannie Mae and California State University-Fullerton prompted this conclusion: “Correcting consumer misconceptions may be a more efficient approach to expanding homeownership opportunities by encouraging households who may already be qualified to own homes.”  Translation: we need to simplify our marketing. 

Whether we market a property to emotional buyers by displaying beautiful photos and extolling the virtues of the public schools, or we go after the dollars-and-cents buyers by demonstrating that their monthly payment can be less than what they’re paying in rent, we’re not acknowledging and addressing the even more fundamental concern of having enough for a down payment.  If buyers believe they don’t have enough money for a down payment, all the beautiful photos and statistical analyses aren’t going to do any good: they’ve already shut themselves off from even considering a purchase. 

It’s possible to get an FHA loan with only a 3.5% down payment. Perhaps the next email drip for a $200K house should simply read, “For only $7K down, this could be yours.”  On a conventional loan, there’s an option for a 3% down payment. So, for a $300K house, maybe it makes more sense to advertise it with a headline like this: “Down payment of ONLY $9K!”  When an agent is being interviewed by a potential buyer, maybe a good opening question from the agent should be, “Did you know that since the 1980s, FHA has backed home loans with only a 5% down payment?”  Headlines and questions like these get to the heart of the matter and help buyers immediately see it’s possible to buy now rather than wait!


Failing to realize this need to change how we market is like AFI stubbornly insisting that Citizen Kane is the greatest movie of all time.  We may have the “greatest” social media posts or the “greatest” marketing brochures, but folks aren’t going to be converted from potential homebuyers to actual homebuyers if their perception is that they don’t have enough for a down payment.  As the old saying goes, perception is reality.  There’s another old saying from Gone With the Wind that applies – something potential homebuyers are going to tell us if we don’t clue in and change: “Frankly, I don’t give a damn.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...