Skip to main content

The Waiting (is the Hardest Part)

Full disclosure: this week’s missive is more for the consumer than for the realtor.  I can promise, though, that for all the realtors who read this, you’ll most likely find yourself saying or thinking something along the lines of “preach on, brother”, “testify”, “amen”, or “you got that right”.  With that in mind, I implore you ALL to read on. 

Recently, I received my monthly wireless phone bill, and it was $20 higher than it should have been.  I had made some changes on my plan a little before that, but my monthly bill’s amount was supposed to stay virtually the same – in fact, my first bill after the changes was a little bit less than my usual amount.  Bonus!  Befuddled, I called the company and asked the operator to help me understand why my bill was $20 higher and then find a way to get it back down to the price I had been promised when I had made the changes to my plan.  Long story short: the operator with whom I had originally made the changes had promised me one thing, and the billing was something entirely different.  The “new” operator patiently tried to explain the math to me to demonstrate that my new $20-more bill was correct, and I kept politely stopping her with, “I’m not arguing the math – that would be like arguing that water isn’t wet or that Kim Kardashian should write a book giving marriage advice.  What I’m upset over is the fact I was promised my bill wouldn’t change, and it did.” 

She kept trying to explain that the math was correct and there was nothing more she could do about the monthly bill amount.  Remaining calm, I said to her, “I appreciate everything you’ve done for me today, I really do, but I do need to speak with a manager.  I truly believe someone at that level is given a little more leeway, and that’s no slam on you.”  Five minutes later, I was talking with a manager, and twenty minutes later, I had a $240 credit (12 months X $20) to be applied to upcoming bills on my account.  All told, this experience took well over an hour – yes, an hour of my life I’ll never get back, but I got some compensation out of it.  I would have liked to see the $20/month taken off my bill FOREVER, but I took what I thought I could reasonably get. 

For those of you who are about to wade into the waters of home buying, let this rather strange story help you in your quest.  My goal when I picked up the phone to talk to the wireless company was to get my $20 back – in Fantasy Land, that should have taken about five minutes, but here in the real world, it took over an hour – and I wasn’t going to hang up until I got some resolution. 

Once you’ve found the house you want to buy and put in an offer, PLEASE DON’T EXPECT it to be accepted within five minutes (or an hour) and be on your merry way.  Your goal is to get that house, but there are a lot of things that will be out of your hands and in the hands of others – PREPARE yourself to be patient and know THERE WILL BE COMPROMISES.  This could take many forms: closing on a later date, digging through old file boxes to find that ONE piece of paper the underwriter wants, dealing with a seller’s last-minute request, etc.  Just remember the goal (the house) and what that goal is going to make possible for you: a place to raise a future family, a gathering point for friends and loved ones where you have enough room that you don’t have to sit on laps to watch the Super Bowl, a place without a pervy landlord (unless you’re the landlord, and then all bets are off), etc.  Lastly, remember that your real estate agent IS management: she/he has the leeway to get the deal done (as long as it’s legal).  Happy buying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...