Skip to main content

Credit's Costs

On a fairly regular basis, you can fire up the computer and go to your favorite news site or flip on the television to seek out your favorite news channel, and you’ll come across a story about how the economy continues to improve – and, overall, that’s fairly true.  However, that doesn’t mean that everything is dandy.  As individuals, we have our challenges, and sometimes we need help. 

On those same news sites or channels, you frequently see ads for credit-repair companies or from a credit card company offering to give you your credit score for free without it affecting your score.  Before I go any further, I want to make it abundantly clear that I am NOT speaking ill of any of these companies – I’m simply going to try and give you something to think about.  Are we good?  I’ll press on. 

Credit-repair companies make their money by selling a service to folks who are looking to raise their credit score.  I’ll pause here for anyone to say, “Duh!”  Here’s my point: these companies ask for payment up front, which is a good business model.  Upon payment, these companies then work with the customers by giving them counsel on what needs to be addressed on their credit reports, what changes the customers should make to their spending habits, etc.  All good stuff – no argument here.  However, these credit-repair companies don’t give out guarantees, and it’s a good business model not to do so because there are many things they can’t control.  The biggest thing they can’t control is how attentive the customer is (or isn’t) to the advice the company is giving them.  Whether the client heeds or doesn’t heed the advice, the credit-repair company has already been paid.  In other words, because they’re paid up front, success or failure is sort of a moot point – they move on to the next potential client.

The credit card company offering to give you your score for free isn’t evil or nefarious – they simply want your personal information so they can market their services to you (and possibly sell your personal information to other marketing information clearing houses – there’s A LOT of money in that).  You aren’t going to get bamboozled and taken to the cleaners by someone posing as a Nigerian prince if you call this credit card company and ask for your score for free, but I’ll guarantee that you’ll start getting an increased number of emails and phone calls from them and companies to whom they’ve sold your information.

In the real estate world, the only company you should visit if you need help with credit repair is us.  Sure, other mortgage companies offer credit counseling, but most either refer it out to a service (that might hit you up for a fee) or shuffle you off to someone else in their company who may or may not care if you follow their advice – they get paid hourly or a salary.  There are two reasons Priority Lending should be your only source of help with your credit issues: (1) You’ll work ONLY with your loan originator – he’s been trained to read and understand a credit report to help you repair and improve your score as quickly as possible; (2) we don’t get paid UNLESS WE’RE SUCCESSFUL in helping you – in other words, our incentive is to stay engaged as long as you are, and by doing that you GET A HOUSE (and we get to write the mortgage).  It may take three months or 24 months to get you to that point – we’ll be there as long as it takes.  We’re a patient lot.  And by doing it with us, there are no up-front charges for counseling or subsequent annoying phone calls that come in JUST as you’ve sat down to dinner. 


So, give us a call and eat your nachos in peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...