Skip to main content

Illustrating Your Options

Last night, I finished reading a book (some of you might be shocked to learn this – you might find it even more shocking to learn that the book had absolutely NO pictures, just WORDS), and the author made a point at the end of the book that he purposefully didn’t give a step-by-step guide on how to follow his advice – he felt it would be better to let the reader determine her/his own path.  Kudos to the author for his . . . laissez faire approach to teaching, but that doesn’t quite work for me.  In light of recent developments with the economy and signals that the housing inventory shortage should come to an end in about 18 months, I thought I should go back to an article we published previously that gives a step-by-step guide on how to prepare oneself to purchase a home.  Here goes:

I once met a man whose upper body was entirely covered in tattoos.  He told me that all this ink took well over 100 hours in total at the cost of $85.00/hour.  Mortgage geek math: that’s $8,500, and THAT’s a down payment!  Huge misconception: 20% is THE required down payment.  Not true! A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.  For the Illustrated Man, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborhood. 

A recent poll revealed that potential homebuyers believe that because of student loan debt, they have no extra funds to save for a down payment. Like any human being who wasn’t born with a million-dollar trust fund, I understand the realities of budgeting and finances – there are so many demands on our income that it seems impossible to save enough for a down payment.  Despair not, my fellow regular people!  Let’s look at a real-life scenario that will give you hope – and a VERY workable solution.

A responsible young couple sets their sights on a place close to downtown: a small home with an asking price of $180,000.  They could get a bigger house that’s new if they move farther away from downtown, but they decide that this option is best for them: less of a commute, closer to restaurants they love, etc.  A 3.5% down payment is $6,300 – they have a little bit in savings, but they want to keep it there for emergencies.  They need a plan.

Their VERY smart realtor sits them down and does some VERY simple math with them:

•The average person spends $8/day at a Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts/Peet’s – that’s on a drink and something to nosh (bagel, scone, that weird granola parfait, etc.)
•For a couple, that’s $16/day X 5 days/week (we won’t count weekends – live a little): that’s $80/week or $4,160/year
•A 3-lb bag of coffee at Costco costs $12.00, and it makes between 100-120 cups – conservatively, that’s a 10-week supply for two people
•Using the Costco coffee, they can probably do the year with 5 bags for a total of $60.00
•All told, switching to Costco for JUST one year, the couple could save $4,100
•As most young couples are wont to do (because they’re working and busy), they tend to eat out 3-4 nights/week
•By cutting out just one of those dinners out each week, that could save $50/week – that’s $2,600
•With these two “tweaks” to the couple’s lifestyle (for JUST one year), they could save $6,700 – and that would keep their savings account wholly intact
•Even if home values increased by 5% over the year of saving, that would put the home (or one like it) at $189,000 – 3.5% of that is $6,615, and the couple has $6,700.

Is it a coincidence that the difference between the amount saved ($6,700) and the down payment needed ($6,615) is $85.00?  That’s just enough to spend an hour with a tattoo artist where the couple can have their favorite realtor’s name forever inked on their biceps.  It’s like it was meant to be!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...