Skip to main content

From the Jersey Shore: an Olympic Lesson

 
There’s an old saying: “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”  Personally, if I’m being honest, I believe the bird in the hand is worth a lot more than the two in the bush because, let’s be honest, we have no idea what those birds are doing in the bush and whether they’ve been taking care of themselves (working out and eating a healthy diet v. binge watching “Jersey Shore” and eating gluten).  I’ll just add this to the old saying: “But one that’s been plucked, roasted, and served up on a silver platter is worth the most.”  

When submitting an offer on a house, there are generally three types of offers:
1.  Based on a pre-qualification (two in the bush)
2.  Cash (bird in the hand)
3.  Based on a qualified approval (plucked, roasted, and served)
 
Let me describe how the seller sees each type of offer (using “Jersey Shore” as my backdrop):
1.  Based on a pre-qualification: the buyer is basically saying, “C’mon.  You can trust me.  I’m good for it.”
2.  Cash: the buyer is saying, “Tree hunnerd is too high, you know.  I got two-fiddy right heah, right now.  Let’s doooo this!”
3.  Based on a qualified approval: “Here’s a cashier’s check for your asking price.”

Allow me explain and define a Qualified Approval.  Underwriting a home loan is made up of two major parts: the home and the borrower(s).  Most people overestimate the amount of information needed regarding the “home” portion. In reality, all that’s required is Title Work, an Appraisal, an Inspection, and a Contract – very minimal but very important.  However, those are all things that have to be done with limited involvement from the borrower. 

The “borrower” portion can be complicated, taking Underwriters down a road full of twists and turns, which translates into time. We are required to verify current income, job history, credit scores, any negative credit history, rent history, large deposits, and the list goes on.  By doing all of this up front to obtain a Qualified Approval, we can issue you an “all clear” to show the potential Seller that you, the Borrower, are fully underwritten and ready to purchase their home – this gets your home loan 85% complete before you even start looking for and finding the house of your dreams.

Going the Qualified Approval route is like Usain Bolt’s journey to his first gold medal.  The actual race that won him that medal sped by in mere seconds, but he spent THOUSANDS OF HOURS preparing for the moment he would have his chance to run THAT ONE RACE.  It paid off, right?  THAT is the essence of a Qualified Approval.  Getting a pre-qualification is like starting the race with your eye on the prize and being held up in the middle while the officials decide if you’re qualified – and you’re forced to watch someone else claim what you’ve wanted for so long.  At that point, the only bird you’re eating is crow.  Ouch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...