Skip to main content

Real Estate's Healthy Engine

A friend of mine works for a major car manufacturer in his capacity as a mechanic and technician – he’s been with the same company for over 20 years, so it’s safe to say he knows a thing or two about how engines work, right?  Whenever I have a problem with my car that extends beyond needing new tires or an oil change, I always reach out to him to see if he can give me an idea of what’s going on and how much it’s going to cost to fix it. 

In the times he’s kindly come over to look at one of my ailing vehicles, I’ve learned a couple of things.  One is you don’t need nearly as many “things” to change your spark plugs as the folks at the auto parts store try to sell you.  The other little morsel of wisdom is in order for a car to start and run, it needs three things: air, spark, and fuel.  For an internal combustion engine, if you take one of these three things away, you don’t get the controlled explosion that makes the heart of your engine pump.  (Side note: this is not to be confused with Earth, Wind, and Fire – the band whose music you need as a vital part of a play list to make the heart of your party pump.)

As if you didn’t see this coming from a mile away, I’m now going to equate this to a successful real estate transaction – one that lives and breathes.  The air, spark, and fuel in a successful real estate transaction is, respectively, an agent, a buyer, and a mortgage person – if you take one of these three things away, you just have a couple of people trying to make pleasant but possibly awkward conversation. 

The agent supplies the oxygen – the vitality, if you will – with her/his knowledge, expertise, attention to detail, and zealous representation of the buyer’s best interests.  The buyer provides the spark – the excitement and drive – to acquire that first investment, a home in which to start a family, a vacation property or second home, or a home after relocation.  And the lender, of course, provides the right type of fuel and the correct amount to get everyone to that final destination.

There are specific things that each party MUST do that the other two parties can’t, of course.  In most instances, this is understood and doesn’t need to be discussed.  However, would it be a bad idea to get all three parties in one room before a property is previewed or a prequalification occurs to discuss the expectations everyone has of one another and have all three agree to live up to their parts?  If this were to occur (assuming everyone did, in fact, live up to what they promised to do), we would have smoother, shorter, and more seamless closings.  Why?  One word: accountability.  When someone is accountable (buyer included), they pay better attention.

Let’s return to our car analogy:  whether it’s a Mercedes-Benz S 560 (a luxury home) or a Fiat 500c (a one-bedroom condo), you still need air, spark, and fuel – you can’t substitute even one of those things, and each one has to do its part equally well, or all you have is a hunk of materials that no one wants to buy or own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...