Skip to main content

Rates are Overrated

Buckle up and get ready to have your mind blown!  Okay, it’s not THAT mind blowing – some of you might even say, “well, duh” – but it’s still interesting.

The economists (that’s a fancy term for “the smart folks”) at the New York Federal Reserve published the results of a study, which reveal that changes in down payment requirements have MORE influence over home buyers’ willingness to buy than changes in rates.  Follow me on this – you’ll be glad you did!

Surveying both buyers and renters, those smarty pants at the Fed found that the effect of interest rates may be overrated when compared to changes in down payment requirements.  The study found:

•Dropping the down payment from 20% to 5% INCREASES the willingness to purchase, on average, by 15% among buyers and 40% among renters
•Decreasing the interest rate on a 30-year fixed-rate loan only raised the willingness to purchase by 5%, on average

If you’re straddling the fence between BUY RIGHT NOW with a higher interest rate and WAIT AN UNKNOWN PERIOD OF TIME to save 20% of the purchase price, here’s an example to give you a healthy push.  Take a look at the numbers for a house with the purchase price of $200,000 with a 30-year fixed mortgage:

WAIT  VS.   BUY NOW
$40,000 down payment vs. $10,000 down payment
Total Loan Amount: $160,000 vs. Total Loan Amount: $190,000
Interest Rate: 4% vs. Interest Rate: 4.375%
Monthly Mortgage (P&I): $763.86 vs. Monthly Mortgage (P&I): $948.64

No doubt $763.86 is better than $948.64 for a monthly payment – that’s not what’s at stake here.  The difference between those two payments is $184.78.  In order for a person to save the additional $30,000 to go from a 5% down payment to a 20% down payment at the rate of $184.78/month, it would take over 162 months – 13.5 years! – to get to that point, which is almost half the life of a 30-year mortgage. 


For many perspective buyers, that additional $185 is significant – and this is where you separate a good loan officer from a great one.  We, the great ones, have a number of strategies to help make up that difference to help folks get into a home as soon as possible!  How does that rate?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...