Skip to main content

Mother Nature and Mortgages

Here in the lovely state of Arizona where we live six months of the year seven inches from the surface of the sun, we usually have what we like to call a “dry heat” – not unlike an oven, if you will. However, for about six blessed weeks in the middle of all this wonderful heat, we have Monsoon Season where it rains like it’s trying to catch up with Seattle’s annual precipitation totals, and our streets turn into rivers and our parks into lakes.  You can read all about it in the brochures they give out at the airport.  

After one of our most recent monsoon storms, I was driving along one of the higher-elevation streets that didn’t become a river, and I noticed that on one side of the road in front of a rather fancy housing development was a row of rather mature Palo Verde trees – and every single one of them had been toppled over by the wind with their entire root systems exposed for all to see. (I’m sure arborists were blushing.) Based on my extensive research (three minutes on Wikipedia), I confirmed that Palo Verde trees are native to our desert climes, so one would think that they’d be used to Mother Nature’s huffing and puffing during Monsoon Season – and they’d be right.  If you go out to the desert and spy a Palo Verde tree that ended up there naturally, you’ll see that it’s standing upright and fully planted despite whatever the elements threw at it.  

The reason for this difference isn’t that these “city” trees have loose morals causing their “country” parents and relatives untold hours of disappointment and hand wringing.  The answer is far more simple: like any tree, a Palo Verde’s roots seek the closest and most abundant water source.  In the desert, this usually means that the roots are forced to reach down MUCH deeper to find a water source.  When Palo Verdes are planted as a component of an overall landscaping scheme, they’re either situated close to a patch of grass where all the watering is done at the surface, or the trees are watered independently by a drip system, which is also at the surface.  In either case, the roots stay close to the surface and never develop a system that really anchors them deep into the soil.  

If you’re going to plant a Palo Verde tree, the best way to ensure it develops a root system to withstand Monsoon winds, you should take a PVC pipe and drive it into the ground parallel with the trunk of the tree.  The length of the pipe should be anywhere between 4 feet and halfway to China. Once the pipe is installed, the tree should get one deep watering each week ONLY through that pipe.  By having the tree “fed” this way, the roots are forced to reach down toward the water source rather than across to a patch of grass or a drip system.  

If your lender spends five minutes on the phone with your buyer and gives you the green light to take them out to look at houses, he/she may be setting you up for failure.  In other words, when the fierce Monsoon winds blow in from underwriting, did your lender do the right work up front to assure your client’s roots will be strong enough?  In most cases, you didn’t find THE HOUSE for your client in five minutes – and I would venture to say there are some clients who need reminding of that, right?  We want the transaction to close as much as you do, so give us the time to get our hands dirty and dig down deep enough to make sure we can all weather the coming storm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Posted August 31, 2015

Fast . . . So They’re Not Furious InSellerate , a lead-generation company, conducted a study that yielded some very interesting insights: •    32% of consumers expect a company to respond to an online inquiry within 30 minutes •    42% of consumers expect contact within one hour •    M ore than half of the companies studied (56.34%) did not respond to the online or email inquiry at all Of those companies that did respond, the average response time exceeded 24 hours, and the primary response vehicle was email, which is a passive, relatively non-effective method of contact .   The take-away thought from all of this is “no kidding”, of course, but it underscores the wisdom that a lead is only as good as the work you put into it. Safety Over Sales According to a USA Today article, realtors in Iowa are taking steps to ensure the safety of all agents. The initiative includes an optional seller contract that prohibits any agent from ...

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

Perspective Produces Progress

Each week I try to write something that will either make you think about a rather humdrum mortgage/real estate topic in a new way or at least clear the cerebral cobwebs.   Admittedly, some weeks I’m better at accomplishing that than others – my apologies for those “off” weeks.   As I’ve been trying to come up with a topic for this week’s missive, it’s not so much that I’ve been hitting a brick wall that’s been keeping me from inspiration, it’s that I’ve felt sort of “dragged down” by so many things that have been happening here in our own backyard over the past few weeks that have been . . . less than inspiring.   It seems that wherever you turn – TV, radio, Facebook, Instagram , newspapers (they still exist) – one party isn’t happy unless the opposing party is proven wrong and/or devastated.   I’m not advocating the philosophy that “everyone’s a winner and should get a trophy just for showing up” – I’m an advocate of just the opposite when it comes to c...