Skip to main content

Odds Are in Your Favor

According to the US Census Bureau –that bunch who make every party worth attending –the homeownership rate for the first quarter of this year is 64.2%.  In comparing that number against the same time last year, they stated, “The homeownership rate of 64.2% was not statistically different from the rate in the first quarter 2017 (63.6%).”  While they may not find a .6% increase to be “statistically different”, I beg to differ.  

According to this same bunch of party animals at the US Census Bureau, there are over 251 million people living here in the United States over the age of 18 years old.  When you multiply that number by .6%, you get over $1.5 million MORE people who became homeowners.  I’d say that’s VERY significant.  

Before any of you get all technical and wonky on me by saying, “Well, sure, 64.2% is a pretty great number, but that means that there’s still 35.8% of us who aren’t homeowners –and when you multiply that number by the adult population of the US, that’s a big number.”  I won’t argue that with you on the face of it, but let me give you a little perspective.  There are MANY parts of the country where people CHOOSE to live where homeownership is next to impossible.  A prime example is New York City.  There are millions of people who rent in Manhattan and its surrounding boroughs –due to space and cost, owning isn’t really an option.  This same “problem” applies to many metropolitan areas and even large swaths of the state of California.  When you take those numbers and remove them from the adult population, the number goes down significantly, and you start to see that homeownership is VERY possible. 

It comes down to choice, really.  In some cases, it’s a very touch choice, but it’s still a choice.  Many will argue that they have to live in a certain part of the country because of their job or a family arrangement.  That’s fair . . . but what landed them where they are was the result of a choice (and it may have been the lesser of two evils in some cases).  If it’s saving for a down payment versus going on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Europe (or Cleveland) or making major changes in your lifestyle for the next 18-24 months to pay down debt to clean up your credit score or actively looking for a job (that might even pay a little less) in another part of the country that is a little friendlier to homeownership, it’s your choice –and it’s in YOUR control.  

Let me close this out with two statistics:  The odds of dating a supermodel are 1 in 88,000.  The odds of getting a royal flush in poker are 1 in 649,739.  Yes, if you do the math, that means you are seven times more likely to date a supermodel than sitting down at a poker table and drawing a royal flush, but I wouldn’t rely on either one as a means of buying a house.  You can’t control how you look or how the cards are dealt, but you CAN control how you spend your money –and THAT’s a power no one can take away from you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...