Skip to main content

A Richer Path to Your Dream Home

With low inventory of good homes to purchase, what's a first-time homebuyer to do?  Sure, buying a fixer upper is a possibility, but there's another (more financially rewarding) option to consider.  

With only a 3.5% down payment, a first-time homebuyer could purchase a duplex, triplex, or fourplex!  Awesome!!!!!

Wait, did I lose you there?  Hear me out, and you'll be glad you did.  

You could purchase a multi-unit property (up to four units), live in one of the units, and rent out the remaining units.  The rents for the remaining units can pay the entirety of your mortgage (or a major portion of it).  Do I have your attention now?  

"My income's not high enough to purchase a property that big," you might be saying right now.  Au contraire.  (I've never used that phrase before in any of my writings.)  The rents of the other units you're not occupying can be counted IMMEDIATELY as income based on the appraised value of rents in the surrounding area.  And you're only required to live in that multi-unit property for a year. 

For many first-time homebuyers, this is the ideal way for them to get into a home AND have an investment property.  Because you have other parties paying rent for the remaining units in your property, more often than not, those rents are paying the entire monthly mortgage payment (or a ginormous chunk of it).  When you've lived in your property for a year, you can move out, slide in an additional renter, keep the property, and go purchase a single-family residence (white picket fence included) possibly with a bigger yard and a little more room to grow.  

Let's recap: only 3.5% down, the possibility/probability that someone else will pay all (or a large portion) of your monthly mortgage, AND an investment property that produces passive income as you move out and buy your dream home.  Is there anyone out there who thinks that's bad?  I didn't think so. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...