Skip to main content

Every Story Needs an Editor

Context and perspective!  Those are two concepts that are more and more important by the day as we now live in a time when it’s so incredibly easy to take things out of context and see them solely through someone else’s perspective.  Don’t worry, I’m not going to get all political on you – I’ll leave that up to the unbiased press and media who don’t like competition. 

Recently, I came across a photo on the internet that showed a gentleman sitting at a table in what looked to be a quad or campus common for a high school or college.  Because the photo is taken from a distance, and the poster attached to the front of his table was designed in a particularly confusing way, it looked like all the poster really said was “Free HIV”.  My first thought was (and it’s quite possible yours would be the same), “Are there hordes of people lining up to PAY for HIV?  I would think the ‘free’ part was sort of implied.”  Then I thought, “Free or not, that’s not really the best way to pick up on women.”  After thinking I was possibly the funniest person on the planet, I looked more closely at the photo and was barely able to make out that it was “Free HIV testing” being offered.  (Still not the best way to pick up on women, but I’ll give the guy points for creativity.  Or, if they were trying to get the message out to get tested, they might not be hitting ALL their demographic with the confusing presentation of their message.) 

A few years back, on the BBC’s website, they had a headline that read: “Sewer was blocked by large Pooh”.  (I’m not making this up.  Type that into Google, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.)  Beneath the headline, they placed a photo of some type of large outdoor receptacle which contained a large stuffed animal of Winnie the Pooh, which one can safely assume was the reason for the blockage – or at least hope it was.  Obviously, without that photo, one might think the editor didn’t catch the misspelling and be intrigued to find out just how large it would have to be to cause a blockage of a sewer.  Before this week’s newsletter descends into murkier territory, I’ll move on.  You get my point, though, right?

Context and perspective!  Quite often, in the mortgage business, we hear A LOT of things taken out of context or told from just one person’s perspective that are just plain wrong.  For example, one might hear a real estate agent say, “Whatever you do, don’t go with a VA loan.  They’re a complete nightmare!”  To that agent, sure, she may have had a horrible experience with ONE VA loan 17 years ago that has left her scarred – bummer!  However, we absolutely LOVE to do VA loans, and we’ve found them to be one of the easiest products to present and process.  If someone who is eligible for a VA loan, upon hearing that agent’s rant, dismisses the possibility of going with a VA loan, they could be spending a lot more than they need to spend to get into the home of their dreams.  Along those same lines, when someone says, “My parents bought their first house with an FHA loan, so I’m going to buy my first house with an FHA loan,” they’re allowing someone else’s perspective to determine their destiny and REALLY limit their options. 

In both the cases of the table advertising Free HIV (testing) and the headline discussing a sewer blockage, what both could have used was editing.  In an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Robert gets married and Raymond gives the Best Man’s speech, Raymond reflects on their childhood and talks about how he and his brother use editing to remember only the good parts: “We only remember . . . the food.  We don’t remember when mom would yell at dad not to scratch his rear end with a spatula in the bakery.  Editing.”  As mortgage folks, we need to help agents and borrowers do some editing to help make as many stories come out with a happy ending.  That’s no fairy tale either!  With that said, though, after reading this, you’re probably never going to look at Winnie the Pooh or a spatula the same again.  Sorry about that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Indelible Lesson

This is a reprint from about nine months ago, but I thought the timing is right to revisit this subject.   Recently, I saw this gentleman at the gym whose upper body was almost entirely covered in tattoos.   I struck up a conversation with him and learned that it took well over 100 hours, and it cost $85/hour.   As we continued to chat, I was doing the math in my head: $85 X 100 hours = $8,500 !   Being the mortgage geek that I am, my next thought was, “I’m staring at a walking, talking down payment on a house!”   There’s a huge misconception floating out there that 20% is required as a down payment.   There are those products that do require such an amount, but there are so many others that don’t.   A very popular loan option only requires 3.5%.   In the case of my new gym acquaintance, $8,500 represents a 3.5% down payment on a $242,000 mortgage – that’s not a palace, but that amount of money could buy a modest home in a nice neighborho...

The Beauty of Ugly

There’s an old saying, “A face only a mother could love.”   (I can assure you it was invented centuries before I was born.)   That saying, though, does remind me of the actor Steve Buscemi .   Most everyone knows he’s made a career for himself being the “weird looking guy” in movies, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say his paychecks have been healthy enough to buy a couple of houses.   With that said, though, I’m sure in very short order, he realized that he wouldn’t be winning the parts of Ethan Hunt in “Mission: Impossible” or Logan in “X Men” – he sought out what he thought was available and reachable. Ideally, most of us want the brand new house that no one has lived in before us or the beautifully maintained house that has a fully remodeled kitchen and newly expanded master bathroom.   Conversely, we’re not walking around and saying to ourselves and anyone wh o will listen, “I want the house that had a small fire on the back half of it twel...

Be a Breed Apart (Posted October 3, 2016)

Driving along a local road recently, I spied a sign that read “Dog Waste Removal Service” with a phone number handwritten below.   Somewhat bemused by this advertisement, I began to guess at its meaning.   Is this is a service that comes into a home and cleans up after your Shih Tzu has a weekend-long kegger , and the new boss is coming over for dinner tonight?   Failing that, the other mental image I got was of two guys hip deep in someone’s backyard just shoveling load after load into a large dump truck.   Either way, two questions leapt to mind: (1) How many friends can Chairman (Bow) Wow have, and did he invite ALL of them over last weekend?   (2) How much fiber are these people feeding their dogs? Regardless of the answers to these questions, it’s clear that we’ve fully played our hand in the universe.   We’re done!   We’re obviously starting to go backwards.   Humankind has broken the hold of earth’s gravitational forces and escaped our...